SCO Will Give Customers a Discount To Drop Linux and Use Any
Proprietary Software

Friday, November 07 2003 @ 08:06 AM EST

SCO isn't putting out press releases like it used to. Surely it wants
you to know that it has cooked up yet another way to be loathsome to
Linux.

It will expand its licensing program (because it's been such a
success, I'm sure) and now they will be "offering a migration path" so
their customers can escape Linux and return to proprietary operating
systems. Note the plural, please. Like, for example, Unix, even a
competitor's Unix. Some say they mean Microsoft. Well, well. Why ever
might they want to send their customers to Microsoft?

So, they will actually more or less pay you to quit using Linux, all
you freedom-loving folks. If this story is accurate, they don't care
what you use, as long as it isn't Linux. They are willing to even lose
you as a customer and send you to another vendor, if necessary. Now,
there's solid business thinking. Unless... nah, all those rumors can't
be true, can they? I'd better not say what I'm thinking or I'll be
deluged with email from Microsoft astroturfers, telling me not to say
things unless I can prove them. So, let's just observe a moment of
silence, everyone, and we can each entertain our own thoughts on what
this might mean. I know *my* thoughts on this subject are thoroughly
entertaining.

[snip]
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/