Microsoft Monday launched a new advertising campaign designed to extend its
"fact based" assault on the Linux operating system.

The campaign consists of a two-page advertisement, which was featured in six
computer industry trade publications this week, that cites a 2002 IDC study
that found that Windows 2000 costs organizations less to operate for a
variety of server tasks including networking, security, and file and print
serving. "Reams have been written about Windows and Linux," the ad reads,
"Let's skip to the bottom line."

On the next page, the advertisement directs readers to a page on Microsoft's
Web site which contains a number of case studies and analyst reports that
tout the benefits of the Windows operating system.

The campaign is expected to run for six months, although Microsoft has not
yet decided on an end date, according to a company spokeswoman

Though Microsoft declined to say what it was spending on advertising, the
simple print advertisement is markedly different from the high budget Linux
ads that rival company IBM launched in September of last year, which were
created by New York ad agency Ogilvy & Mather and featured such celebrities
as boxer Muhammad Ali and director Penny Marshall.

The difference is telling, said Bruce Perens, a Linux advocate and one of
the founders of the Open Source Initiative. IBM's advertisement targets high
level executives, while Microsoft appears to be targeting more technical
users, Perens said.

"IBM understands that the people who really need the message are at the
top," he said. "I think that the IBM ad says, 'Buy Linux and save your
company.' The Microsoft ad says, 'Buy Microsoft and save your job.'"

Microsoft characterized the advertisement's focus on IT professionals as in
line with the "fact based" campaign it has waged against Linux since summer
of last year. That's when the company's general manager of platform
strategy, Martin Taylor, vowed to reduce the level of emotion in Microsoft's
criticism of Linux. "There were some emotional statements made before; we're
now on a direction to talk about the facts," he said at the time.

Monday's advertisement continues in that vein, a Microsoft spokeswoman said.
"We were looking at targeting the IT pros. IBM's was a broader Linux
movement campaign," she said. "It's the IT professionals who want the
facts."

According to Perens, the advertisement simply shows that Microsoft is afraid
of Linux, and give the open source operating system more credibility in the
enterprise. "I think that Microsoft should continue this campaign in other
publications," he said. "In fact, they should buy some TV ads; maybe a
Superbowl ad."

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/analyses.asp

njoy!
Puneet