URL may be wrapped

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/16/space.mars.java.reut/index.html

The above is a CNN story about how JAVA is being used to provide the
interface to control the Mars rover or something to that effect.

Now the purists(???? Note the 4 question marks :-) may ask what the heck
does this have to do with Linux ? Hang on.

The story points to the homepage http://mars.telascience.org/ which has
a download option and surprise of surprises it has a port for the Linux
users. So downloaded it and tried to install it(On Fedora and
Slackware). It was a breeze. They are even releasing updates of the
latest Mars pictures which may be incorporated in your installation and
you can virtually tour Mars. Although did not understand quite a few of
the options provided in the interface (got to read the help) it was
quite cool. It spews a lot of debug messages on the terminal and the
perennial problem with Java apps RESOURCE HUNGRY. No flames please these
are the views of a hardcore C/C++ guy and it practically ground my P4,
2.4 GHz, 1024 Mb RAM machine to a halt after I became impatient and
clicked a lot of images one after the other to populate the thumbnails.
Had to grep and kill it finally.

Apart from all this it was nice. Try it.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be
filled but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739