Or try
wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

This should recognise the modem and make changes as well.

External modems (Std AT compatible) should not be a problem for any OS, since they work without the need of the driver.

You can test the modem first, by using a software called minicom and ensuring that the modem responds to AT as OK.

regards,
alok sinha