if you just want the base system along with KDE/GNOME etc...all you need
is CD 1 and 2 and then you can edit your sources.list to download whatever
else you need.
aso i would recommend waiting for a while since sarge should be released
soon and so you will not have to go around downloading kde 3.1.5 or gnome
2.4 even though you will have to download kde 3.2 if you want that(i hear
it is cool).
my 2 cents.
Rishabh

--