From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 1:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ilugd] DishnetDSL Howto

Forwarded message from PLUG.
This could be useful to many Dishnet DSL users.

-Sudhanwa

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:06:19 +0530
From: Kaustubh Gadkari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [PLUG] DishnetDSL Howto
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message: 6

Hi!

This a small how-to that I've written to show how a DishnetDSL
connection can be set up in GNU/Linux.
All suggestions/modifications are welcome.

                                       The DishnetDsl How-to

 This how-to explains how-to setup your DishnetDsl connection in
GNU/Linux. This how-to is written with Indian GNU/Linux in mind,
although the procedure involved is generic enough to work any where.

0) This how-to assumes you have the following hardware and software
present.
     0.1) Aztech Turbo 100U DSL modem
                 If you have an externel modem that came with your DSL
connection, this will probably be it. It is a USB device.
     0.2) A USB enabled motherboard.
     0.3) A GNU/Linux distribution with linux kernel 2.4.x.
                 This procedure has been tested on RedHat Linux 8.0 and
Mandrake Linux 9.1.
     0.4) Internet access.

1) I have all of the above. What do I do now?
     1.1) Go to http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download.php?lang=en
     1.2) Download the appropriate package
eciadsl-usermode-<version>(.rpm for Redhat/Mandrake/SuSe , .deb for
Debian etc.) or the latest CVS build.
     1.3) Download the file eciadsl-synch_bin.tar.bz2 ( This file is
absolutely essential!)

2) Downloads done. Now what do I do?
     2.1) Using the appropriate procedure, install the eciadsl-usermode
package. Or if you have downloaded the CVS build do the following as
root :
             ( you need to have gcc installed)
             # tar xzvf eciadsl-usermode-cvs.tar.gz
             # cd eciadsl-usermode-cvs
             # ./configure
             #  make;make install
     2.2) Also do as root ( common to both installations )
             # bunzip2 eciadsl-synch_bin.tar.bz2
             # tar xvf eciadsl-synch_bin.tar
             # cd eciadsl-synch_bin
             # cp *.* /etc/eciadsl

3) Now what do I do?
     3.0) Unplug your modem.
     3.1) As root, do this :
             # eciconf.sh ( In X Windows)
     3.2) Enter your username and password.
     3.3) Enter your VPI as 0 and VCI as 32.
     3.4) Select your modem as Aztech 100U.
     3.5) Select the option "Change synch.bin file" and select your
synch.bin file as either synch36.bin or synch37.bin.
     3.6) There is no need to change the encapsulation settings.
     3.7) Select "Create config".
     3.8) That's it!

4) Now the critical part
     4.1) Plug in your modem.
     4.2) As root, do :
            #startmodem
     4.3) Your modem should now power up and the link LED will start
blinking.
     4.4) The driver will load USB support, firmware etc. and it should
say "ECI Load 1 success."
     4.5) If everything goes well, you should see "ECI Load 2 success"
and you should be logged in.
     4.6) That's it! Happy surfing.

5) I did everything of the above, but it still does *not* work!
     5.1) Don't panic.
     5.2) Try running startmodem again.
     5.3) If it *still* does not work, unplug your modem and plug it in
again after a minute or two.
     5.4) Now run startmodem again.
     5.5) If it *still* does not work, go back to section 3 of this
how-to and change the synch.bin file.

Written by : Kaustubh Gadkari ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) Version : 1.0