--
Rishabh Manocha
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/rmanocha
**********Your Quote for the day**********
How much disgruntled heaviness, lameness, dampness, how much beer is there in the
German intelligence.
Friedrich Nietzsche, German political philosopher, Twilight of the Idols, 1889

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, LinuxLingam wrote:

> so am doing my usual stuff on the pc, nothing special, when i suddenly
> note a huge jump in the cpu usage, use of memory, even swap space, in
> the monitor graph. my pc actually slows to a crawl.
maybe some application you opened.
> frantic. is that a slurp from the net connection? i get a console to do
> tcpdumping, but it shows all's quiet on the western front.
>
> could that be some cron task? or what?
maybe but usually inbuilt cron tasks are very efficient...unless you have
added some cron task which might be messing with things..i dont think this
could be the case.
> so i start thinking, how do i know exactly what
process or application
> is doing what, using how much resource, at a particular time? i see the
> process table, but doesn't really tell me what suddenly happened
> specifically. any clues, or have i to piece together circumstancial
> evidence from the process table? and then try to guess the even more
> difficult question: why?
open up a konsole and type top..this is a realtime monitor of all
processes...it tells you what processes are being executed...how much CPU
they are using and how much memory they are using.
you can also do ps -ef or ps -aux

Rishabh