On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 03:15, Mejo Jose wrote:

> Is it legal to distribute(sell) Redhat 9.0 / Fedora cds or list them on
> my website? I have been getting mails from many people saying that it's
> illegal and a website has already been closed for this reason. I have
> also seen some sites listing RXX XXX Linux etc instead of Red Hat Linux.
>

> Please let me know.

IANAL == "I Am Not A Lawyer"

If you are looking for legal advice which I believe you are it would be
better if you contacted a lawyer and then ironed out whether it IS legal
for you to market the cd's branded as Red Hat Linux.

But then again most people like us do not have the time and more
importantly the money to consult lawyers.

You may like to read (URL's may be wrapped)

http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/

And in particular -

http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/page4.html

You may get a better answer from somebody on the Red Hat and Fedora
mailing lists. Although I am pretty sure most will be prefixed with
IANAL.

Oh just saw this after typing all the above crap
(Again URL may be wrapped)

http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/page9.html

Then went and checked out your site for the price of your cd's. Looks
like you are being reasonable as to the charge(Blank CD cost +
Reasonable Shipping Charge). And it also looks like you need to
accompany a printed document containing the following disclaimer

"If any copies are to be distributed to individuals outside your
organization, either the label or an accompanying printed document must
indicate that: (a) the distribution is provided without any warranties
(unless you elect to provide those warranties); and (b) this
distribution does not include support (either technical or developer)
services from Red Hat but that such services may be purchased from Red
Hat separately."

Read this full page carefully and then fire off and e-mail to the
address listed at the end of the page hopefully you will get a favorable
reply.

I like the idea of distributing cheap cd's to propagate Linux so best of
luck.

Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be
filled but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739