    Mairu> Hi everyone We are just considering to get the forum
    Mairu> started, lets see if we can pull it off. We cannot do this
    Mairu> without everyone's support. ALmost Everybody has had a say
    Mairu> in the discussion, and most tend to agree that trying
    Mairu> wouldnt do any harm.  If it works, it's great, and if it
    Mairu> doesn't, then as good.

Great.

    Mairu> Till now, we have three main forums ?

    Mairu> PhpBB, vbulletin, Invision Board.

    Mairu> Out of which, vBulletin and Invision are fee-based.  I
    Mairu> suggest we can start from a free one, gauge the response,
    Mairu> then move on to cost-based ends. What does everyone think ?

My *personal* take -- don't even think about a non-free package.
There are enough FLOSS forum packages available, of which I've seen
phpBB, it works, and it doesn't look to bad.

    Mairu> PHPbb might be reasonably secure if somebody is good at PHP
    Mairu> and plug in the holes. So far, we have "Manpreet Nehra"
    Mairu> ready to volunteer and study the phpBB forum, and wants a
    Mairu> week's time. I think he might as well begin.

Umm, PHP and secure in the same sentence?  Think again :)

Anyhow, as so many people have suggested, just go ahead and do it,
we'll worry about the consequences later.

Regards,

-- Raju

--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/