At 2004-02-23 01:42:47 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Anyway, no; fdisk has nothing to do with defragmentation [...]
>
> well....could you clarify to me...what disk defragmentation is?

Fragmentation is a filesystem-level phenomenon (while partitions could
be called a disk-level one, I guess) where, due to files being created
and deleted over time, unused blocks are scattered in between occupied
ones, and newly-created files are thus stored in non-contiguous blocks
on the disk.

This may lead to performance problems in usage scenarios where a large
(and fragmented) file must be read into memory sequentially because of
the extra seeking to and fro that's involved to fetch the next block.

Defragmentation seeks (heh heh) to remedy the situation by writing out
each file into a contiguous set of blocks.

> The little you did leave is like Dutch to me.

Did you ask Google?

-- ams