Hello

Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
Good to see you disciplining people about this obnoxious practice, but I
think you can save yourself some trouble, by copying your standard
"Don't hijack a thread!!!" content to a FAQ entry on the site, and
giving the URL instead.

Thanks to the suggestions by Sandip Bhattacharya and Arindam you have before yourself a literary gem (?) from me.

This is a first draft of "How not to behave on mailing lists". I have poured my heart out while writing about my favorite irritant, thread hijacking. I have put some words about inadequate use of google and top posting, but I think there are people who have much more hatred in their hearts who can comment on these topics better than me. Please let your venom flow and mail your suggestions off line to me.

Once the quality of the document is good (or venomous) enough I will post it to my website and also send it to the LUGD mail admin, who may put it up on the LUGD website.

Vivek had also written to point out a flaw that not many people would be inclined to click on a link detailing thread hijacking. I agree with him . However this document would provide a basic template for the members of this list which they can modify to meet their needs.

   Mailing lists are one of the major means of interaction between Linux
and Free Software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)
enthusiasts keep in touch. To be a part of this community we expect the
new members to follow certain decorum when they post on these mailing
lists. Often the erring new members are gently reprimanded by the
seniors in the mailing list, at other times they are mercilessly flamed
(http://www.faqs.org/docs/jargon/F/flame.html) to death.

   This document is my attempt to put together a few mistakes which
people usually commit when they post, why these mistakes are annoying
and how best to avoid them.

Not doing enough research
=========================

   You should do a thorough research before posting a question. If folks
think you have not even tried the obvious step of reading the docs
applicable to your problem, they are likely to become annoyed. Here are
a few tips :

   * Read the man and info pages. Most man and info pages have a `bugs'
     section. See if that applies to your case.

* Run your program with a "-h"or "-help" option

   * Read the program documentation (usually found in
     `/usr/doc/program_name' or `/usr/share/doc/program_name')

   * If you have an error message from your program, copy the whole
     string into the google search area, enclose it in double quotes
     and then search.

Using non descriptive subject lines ===================================

   The subject line should accurately describe the topic you are
discussing. In addition, don't use your subject line as your main
question or statement and then fail to repeat (or rephrase) it in the
body of the message. For example, do not put your `Subject' as `I need
a FOOBAR CD' and leave the body of the email blank.

Use your subject line to indicate what problem we can expect to find
in your query. Don't waste your subject line in pleading ("Please read", "Urgent", "HELP!!!"...).

Thread hijacking
the To address.  This is the only way to actually start a new thread.

   Always start a new thread instead of taking an already ongoing one,
changing the subject line and posting it again. The subject line is
only loosely related to the threading.  Every mail message has a
message-id.  When you "reply" or "follow up" to a message, you client is
supposed to put a References header with the message-id of the message
you are replying to.

   If you use an existing thread, the result is that your question is
buried below unrelated questions when looking at the mailing list in a
threaded way. This is known as `Hijacking threads'. It causes
information to be lost and you'll be less likely to get an answer.

Top Posting
===========

Top posting means putting the answer to an email first.

   Usually, the reading-flow is from left to right and from top to
bottom, and people expect a chronological sequence similar to this.
Especially people who are reading a lot of articles (and who therefore
would qualify as the ideal person to answer your question) appreciate
it if they can read at first the text to which you are referring. The
quoted text is some kind of help to remember the topic, which of course
will not work, if you place the quoted text below your response.

--
   / \__
  (    @\___    Raj Shekhar