On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 18:10, M. Balakrishna Pillai wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 05:48:03PM +0530, Mejo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >             I would like to know the exact difference between the Debian
> >             Woody US and NON US  cds. Am I allowed to distribute both of them in
> > India?
>
> AFAIK
>
> There are some softwares which cannot be exported from US and can be
> done from other countries.
> US cd does not contain any softwares which cannot be exported from US.
>
> non-us cd contains those softwares also.
Again AFAIK these restrictions are something to do with the level of
encryption allowed to US companies for exports of software as apparently
this is considered a "weapon" and thus permission of US government is
needed before this can be done. BTW same is true for MS$ products. Lotus
notes was one of the first products to come up with this wall put up by
the National Security Agency of US.
I did not think it was still applicable. I have to re-read everything I
did not know about encryption.
--
Sudev Barar

Learning Linux