On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 13:58, Ankur Rohatgi wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a download manager type of application with
> ~ some kind of web/cli config tool ? I want to put my office bandwidth to
> use at night. Basically some app that sets up as a service and lets me
> add / check files on the web.
> I did search google but no luck finding anything there.

don't know about any such application, but what i do at my office is

in my home directory i create a script
### download.sh ###
cd /home/vivek
wget -c http://the/file/i/wish/to/download
###################

that script is chmoded
   $ chmod 755 /home/vivek/download.sh

then, i open up my crontab
   $ crontab -e

specify the timings
   15 00 * * * /home/vivek/download.sh

after adding the cron entry i save it (ESC, :wq <- vi commands).
that's all. so, this way download is started at 0015 Hrs.

yes, i can specify the date etc. in the crontab, but usually after
reaching office i remove that cron entry so the file is not downloaded
again and again every night at 0015 Hrs.

what yu can do is, create a simple php script which allows yu to enter
the URLs yu wish to download in the database (MySQL), and every night
that script is executed at a specific interval and download begins.

> BTW today completes my first week of NO WINDOZE !!! It caused some pain
> but this time i stuck to it and kept going. Now most things operational
> and i am happy indeed :).

excellent :-) i'm really happy for yu. in fact this was almost the same
thing i did, i removed windows from my machine and it was ONLY linux
(initially redhat then mandrake), and i stuck to it. i made up my mind
that everything i had to do was in linux only, so find out how things
work. and now, i'm a proud home linux desktop user :-)

--
                                        \|||/
                                        (o o)