At 2004-03-21 03:17:16 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ~Mandrake 10.0 (3 discs)

I just finished downloading Mandrake 10.0 (on an MTNL dialup connection,
no less), and installing it on the new machine I just finished building.
The installer is pretty slick. (I'll try SuSE 9.0 and FC1 sometime too.)

Incidentally, this is the box I had posted to ilugd about some time ago.
I had to hang around Nehru Place for longer than I liked, but I'm happy
with the new system. (Contact me off-list for vendor recommendations.)

I decided, somewhat reluctantly, to stick with Intel rather than go AMD.
For one thing, I couldn't see a decent board that would take 2GB of RAM,
and the nForce-2 boards (which seem significantly faster than VIA KT600
ones) still cause enough problems under Linux to scare me. Furthermore,
AMD64 was still too expensive for me.

In contrast, P4s run faster and cooler at the high end, and I could find
a P4/3.0 CPU with only a little trouble (I couldn't find anything better
than an Athlon XP 2800+, period). I had to search for the ASUS P4P800-ED
that I ended up getting for a whole week, but it was worth the wait.

Looks like a great Linux system so far.

-- ams