Hi! Everyone

Here is the latest update on the flashmobcomputing
project at ilugd.

1) Flashmobcomputing.org has released a new iso on 7th
may 2004, this iso is the one used by university of
San fransisco on the D-day.
2) Along with the iso partial source code has also
been released.
3) Mary and me have been working on sundays at sarai
to make flashmob iso less flaky. here are our
observations.
a) The automated scripts used to perform benchmarking
by flashmob iso always give you flaky results. this is
due to the different problem size being generated
every time it runs.
b) we had hacked HPL.dat in the flashmob iso and
maually (witout using fm_* scripts in the flashmobiso)
executed the benchmarking test.
c)we had only two P4 with total of 1Gb ram with us to
perform test. With proper problem size and few other
tweaks we were able to receive 2.013 Gflops (max) and
1.81 Gflops(persistent) ratings.

Future course of action

 We are exploring the new flashmob iso for changes.
Alongside we are going throug HPL algorithm and source
code to find out the ways to further speed up the
computation.
 We will try to recompile the iso with other than
atlas BLAS libraries (right now we have goto Blas as
best candidate). If some one is aware of better
libraries please let us know (using intel
math-libraries which come equiped with lapack and BLAS
is ruled out as they have to be purchased before
using).

Importnt (Non-technical)
 we will require few more PC next week(after 16th may
2004) to test out the procedure for deciding the best
setting(for few hours on sat or sunday). We will need
minimum 5 pcs with P4 and 256 mb ram each. if some one
can lend us Intel Xeon for few hour (for testing), we
will be grateful to that person.

Regards
VK

=====
Disclamer
The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw...