Joe Spammer wrote:

The network monitoring tool nagios comes with plugins to check whether an smtp server is up. These plugins are independent programs which exit with an error code indicating whether the smtp server is accessible or not. Maybe you can reuse such a plugin on the servers in your case.

Thanks for the info, but to check if a SMTP server is up, I could write a script to send mails using that server at regular intervals. Mostly the problems with the mail flow is not caused by the SMTP server, but some other problems in the network, or the Mailsweeper software which is used to scan the mails for spam and virus etc.

I'm actually looking for a program which sends and receive mails at regular intervals and alerts me when it's not able to do so. We've a script which sends mails every 15 minutes, but to receive we use Thuderbird. Someone has to check manually if the mail is coming every 15 minutes. When we are busy with much important work, we fail to do this.

Hope that you got my question.

--

Mejo