On Thursday 10 June 2004 2:33 pm, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> Does anyone know of any Linux tool for protecting various functions in a
> PDF like printing, copying text, etc. ? All teh tools that I see on google
> are commercial windows tools. Doesnt Ghostscript support this? If it can
> view encrypted files, it should eb able to add encryption/security levels.

Dont bother. Got it.

http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

Available on Linux,  FreeBSD,  Windows and Solaris.

From the website:
If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic staple-remover,
hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and X-Ray-glasses. Pdftk is a simple
tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. Keep one in the top drawer
of your desktop and use it to:

- Merge PDF Documents
- Split PDF Pages into a New Document
- Decrypt Input as Necessary (Password Required)
- Encrypt Output as Desired
- Burst a PDF Document into Single Pages
- Report on PDF Metrics, including Metadata and Bookmarks
- Uncompress and Re-Compress Page Streams
- Repair Corrupted PDF (Where Possible)

No licence mentioned anywhere. However Debian package available.  So I suppose
it follows the DFSG guidelines. Voting currently on in Mandrake to include
it.

Great stuff!

For Red Hat/Fedora users:
- download the SuSe SRPM
- extract it (rpm -ivh should put the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
- Comment the single line containing something similar to "suse_config"  in
  the pdftk.spec file
- Run "rpmbuild -bb pdftk.spec" to build the RPM
into /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

Install the new RPM!

You got to install GCJ and its devel package to compile it. This package
weirdly uses Java code compiled to native form from within C++.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya
sandip (at) puroga.com

GPG: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3