On Saturday 26 June 2004 00:45, Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:

> I assume this is 8 x 36GB SCSI.  LC?  LW?  Part number, please?

My mistake, it is 36 GB x 8 SCSI  U320 10K HP, Part no 286713-B22

> I would suggest, if you have the cash, RHEL.  This will work great for
> Oracle.  Guaranteed.  If your database is really important to your company,
> this is good value for the money.  You get really great support.
Ok, but which one?  Redhat Enterprise Linux - AS (upto 16 CPUs & 64 GB Main
memory) OR Redhat Enterprise Linux ES (upto 2 CPU & 8GB Main memory)
I think we should get RHEL-AS ? recalling 4CPUs xenon 2.2 Ghz we have.

> Else, either Whitebox http://whiteboxlinux.org/ if you would like to stick
> to Red Hat, or Debian http://www.debian.org
Any success stories?, package updates ...

> Everyone is "performance hungry", for various value of "performance".  What
> do you really need?  Performance in terms of speed, or reliability?
>
> Firstly, apart from RAID 0, any other RAID MUST (I mean MUST) be:
>     implemented purely (yes, purely) in hardware
>     have a large RAM cache (512M?  at least 256M)
>     have a battery backup, on the "RAID card", at least 96 hours (think:
> long weekend)
> Anything else is at best useless, at worst snake oil.

It is  HP 6400 array controller with 192 MB cache.

I have the smart start CDs But when i choose Linux as the OS(other options are
windows 2000, windows 2003, Novel,OS/2, SCO etc)  in ROM Based Setup Utility
(RBSU) and then boots from smart start CD 7.0 it says :-

"OS selected is not supported for assisted installation using smart
start..." :(

How do i configure array of hard disk for RAID?. I have hardware card for RAID
system. let me check its no..
Give one try to install Redhat 8.0 & FC2 WITHOUT setting up any RAID is fine!

> Next, if you can lay your databases/indices decently, the bulk of your work
> is done.  A good DBA will out-perform a team of Sys Adms any day in
> database performance.

> How IO intensive is your app anyway?  If really high, go to 15k drives,
> U320 (although U160 are not much worse).  This is a quick win.  Look for
> 8MB caches, on-drive.  Buy good SCSI cables.  The fastes way to improve HDD
> IO, in my view, is to stick in few G of RAM into the box.  Amazing what
> caching will do.
>
> Split your drives into 3 groups:
>     A RAID 5 set, or RAID 10, for your data
>     A RAID 1 set, for the OS + App
>     A normal disk, for swap + /tmp (who cares if you lose this?)

This is attracting setup  well, will give it one try...

> bonnie++ is your friend. http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
>
> And for RAID any higher than 1, you need a storage array.  You cannot just
> pop-in disks into your cabinet and leave it at that, read up on "spindle
> synchronization" if you want to do RAID 3.  The drives you have may not
> support this.

Regards,
Yash