Dell stops shipping Windows on all its computers

http://www.newsforge.com/articles/04/07/07/1848210.shtml?tid=149

After being berated by Microsoft for attempting to
sell Linux on some of the company's desktop systems,
Dell has decided to stop selling Windows altogether.
CEO Michael Dell said, in a fictional conference call
with reporters, "Microsoft is in no position to push
us around. By selling Linux, we will save each
customer nearly $200 per computer. If Microsoft would
like to continue selling Windows through Dell, it will
need to ask very nicely and accept that we have the
right to sell other operating systems."

Mr. Dell says Dell is going further and will be
switching all its internal computers to Linux with a
deadline of November 1st, 2004. "We realise this is a
very ambitious goal, but the internal license cost
savings alone will allow me to buy a new Ferrari every
month."

Microsoft has reacted angrily to the news. Steve
Ballmer is in the hospital recovering from choking on
his breakfast after receiving the news, but a
spokesperson says that "Microsoft is not impressed
with Dell's actions and will be taking
anti-competitive action to ensure that the hardware
company changes its mind."

A vehicle with Washington state plates "BILL" was seen
entering the Round Rock, Texas based head office of
Dell corp. just before press time escorted by several
large SUVs. It is not known at this time what is being
negotiated.

HP-Compaq, the world's #2 seller of desktop computers
- behind Dell - is expected to follow Dell's lead on
Monday and cease selling any Windows operating systems
on their desktop computers.

Gateway, however, says their computers will remain
unequivocally Windows-only. The desktop manufacturer
believes the extra expense of Windows is valuable to
consumers. Gateway spokesman William Bradley said of
Dell's move, "I'm glad to hear Dell will be selling
less expensive computers without the Microsoft tax --
we'll finally be able to upgrade the computers around
the office."

Italian distributor Questar, which managed to send
Dell down its course toward the abandonment of
Windows, says that Dell has "made the right decision"
in moving away from Microsoft, and that it hopes Dell
is not doing it to get a better deal from the Redmond,
WA-based software giant.