--- Raj Shekhar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The meeting was started by demo of Xandros distribution by Satyakam
> Goswami (known as dingo on the irc channel). He started off with the
> disclaimer that he is not connected with Xandros in any way. Xandros is
> a debian based distribution. Next he got a newbie (who was using Linux
> for the first time) on stage and asked him to be a participant in the
> demo. The plus points that came out in the demo are
>
> - Xandros is quite easy to install and gives the user a minimum number
> of choices. The install process is just 4 clicks.
>
> - It has a wizard to help you connect to the Internet in a easy manner.
>
> - The packages can be upgraded using the Xandros update wizard (without
> knowing the intricaicies of apt-get).
>
> However, there are certain negative points too.
>
> - Xandros has some proprietary software (like its file browser) bundled.
> This lead to a heated discussion about freedom and free software and how
> companies were encroaching upon free software.
>
> - Not much choice available for an advanced user.
correction here the choice is always there with apt-get in the background, its just
been two weeks
with this distro  dont know how long i will be stickin on to it full marks to xandros
and team in
bringing somethin intresting in this segement.To me its a journey and we all are gonna
make it
just hang on.

talking about the cross talks and discussion about Free Versus Open versus Propritory
the saga
continues and humble me will definetly add some fuel to the fire by some actions than
Words.

IMHO commercial vendors are actually creating all that noise for what ever motives it
may be
thanks to people like them it makes FLOSS an intresting place to be in so enjoy there
presence
than being a bully about things we have nothin to loose ....

ps: Raj please dont start again by sayin u loose freedom!!! thats due for next session
;-)

=====
Archean Infotech Ltd      ph:3543845,3547143,3607772,3546129
Plot No 151,              page:9612-5298
Kamlapuri Colony          fax:3547143
Hyderbad 500073
                   http://www.archeanit.com