Hi,

I have RH 8 installed on my machine. Tomcat/Apache/MySQL are installed
to run few web applications.

The machine usually gives OK kind performance. BUT when i take MySQL
backups to other machine over NFS (that i have to take every 4 hours),
the perf of web apps go down drastically,

What i can see if as Backup does lot of I/O, and the apps also do lot
of I/O for log processing and all. so this may be the problem. because
other times, the apps give faster response.

What could be the ways to improve I/O perf. I have IDE and dont and
wont ;-) have SCSI drives.

any insights if can fine tune something in linux.
Navjot Singh