On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 05:57, # Subodh # wrote:
> hi !
>
> I have activated samba on my Linux m/c with the following smb.conf
> ;
> [global]
>    guest account = ok
>    workgroup = MYGRP
> [scratchdisk]
>    comment = STmpdisk
>    path = /tmp
>    read only = no
>    public = yes
>
> but the machine does not shows up in winxp m/c network. although I am able
> to ping each one from the other. "testpram" gives no error.
> now where to trouble shoot.

Lot of stuff is unclear

For one Windows XP is in workgroup mode or domain.

In case its domain mode, the domain controller has to register your file
server before you can serve to a domain.

Second - Did you test this setup on same machine using smbmount etc.

Third - You should reproduce the relevent log files from Samba. This
will give some idea one what is *really* happening.

There have been huge discussions on samba in this list and many others.
One can go through them for similar issues faced by other users

In case it still does'nt work, you can always get back :-)

> thanks
>
> Subodh

regards

Supreet