On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 8:15 pm, Mayank Jain wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 18:07, abhishek tiwari wrote:
> > the advantage of a gmail acc is 1 GB mailbox, thats
> > only one i can think of.u can get 1 GB at
> > rediffmail.com
>
> BTW, gmail also has a drawback, which interestingly nobody seems to be
> mentioning. It does not opens on normal browsers like konqueror, opera,
> etc. Only Mozilla seems to be ok!
>
> this was one of the most annoying things about gmail, since every time i
> had to open gmail, i had to start mozilla, which is vry RAM intensive
> for me (considering, i'm alive using celeron-800 & 256mb ram).

There are many many other problems with gmail other than browser compatibility
(BTW, even IE5 doesnt work well with it).

The major problem is accessibility - as an example, the keyboard shortcuts
need a mouse to be activated. So if you have a machine without a mouse, it is
practically impossible to work with it.  Take a look at this article to find
out a comprehensive analysis of what is so wrong with it.

 http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/04/10/gmail-accessibility

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3

Use the "telephone test" for readability.
            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)