[snip]

> Hi Amit,
> I had recently set up a campus wide WLAN for a
> business school and also
> have a mixed LAN in my office as well as home. In
> terms of reliability
> and speed, the wireless does not stand any chance in
> front of a wired
> LAN. However largely it depends on your network
> requirement. 802.11b
> seems slow but if you just browsing the internet and
> your uplink is less
> than an MB then its fine. You do have the ability to
> move your
> PCs/Laptops around freely in a wireless network
> (obviously provided
> there is signal). The cost of the wireless LAN may
> seem a little higher
> upfront but if you get proper structured cabling
> done by a decent vendor
> you may actually end up paying more for your wired
> LAN. You may want to
> take a look at some propreitory speed standards
> (DLINK has one and so
> has SMC) which speed up the WLAN even more, but they
> will only work with
> their own brand.
>
> I would suggest a mix of Wired and Wireless, use
> cat6 or atleast cat5e
> for your wiring so you can move up to gigabit over
> time. For your
> wireless i would suggest a hybrid wlan access point
> (one that will
> support B along with either A or G). Most centrino
> notebooks come with B
> wireless and unless you ensure all wireless clients
> are of higher spec,
> it wont really help would it.
>
> For linux, there is limited support for WLAN
> especially in the case of
> centrino notebooks. That said, i use a centrino
> notebook running SuSE
> 9.1 and drivers from ipw2100.sourceforge.net ,
> without any issues :) .
> In case of your desktops, since you would be buying
> wireless cards
> anyway, look under the hardware list for your linux
> distribution and
> find a compatible wlan card.
>
> - - Ankur.
[snip]

thanx anukur for informative reply.

i am already planning for having my server on wired
LAN and PC's & Laptops on WLAN.

i am searching for someone who can just allow me to
have a look at the setup once so that i can finalise
the concept and start looking for hardware vendors
etc. for same.

amit