At 2004-09-08 16:00:59 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > System boots fine, but as soon as init scripts start, I start
> > getting lots of "FAIL" all indicating /dev/null : read only
> > filesystem.

Read that again. It says that the file system that /dev/null was on is
read-only, not that /dev/null is read-only. Very important difference.

> > I found the following solution through Google, and it worked:
> >
> > 1. mount -o remount, rw /
> > 2. rm -f /dev/null
> > 3. mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3
>
> Well, a simple chmod from the root user (chmod 666 /dev/null) would
> have worked.

No, it would not, because there was nothing wrong with the permissions
of /dev/null. The problem was that the root filesystem was mounted ro,
and the problem was cured by the first command: mount -o remount,rw /.

(The errors were probably caused by init scripts redirecting output to
/dev/null, expecting that the root filesystem was already mounted rw.)

-- ams