On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:17, vivek wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 23:49 -0700, Amit Sharma wrote:
> > they will be using openoffice and mozilla and few
> > other standard applications. they will conect to
> > oracle application server using browser to work on
> > oracle forms for data entry , reports etc. (i guess it
> > wont be a problem!!).
{SNIP]
> > 2. should i go for 'linux for each user' (standalone)
> > or deploying LTSP is ok (will save lot of maintainence
> > etc.). Does LTSP a good choice in a environment which
> > will extensively be using browser to access oracle
> > application server and generating reports 'online'(it
> > will be on LAN anyway :) ).
>
> if yu've worked on ltsp and have experience with ltsp then perhaps it
> may be okay. but it'll require maintainence no doubt. also afaik yu'll
> need to customize it to your requirements. also, yu'll need a backup too
> in case of any hardware issues, the server should be robust in case of
> 30 clients. and running oracle on that as well as using ltsp..uh think
> about it.
Since all the users are going to be working on are productivity applications I find
LTSP solution to be better.
Ease of maintaining and installing new applications - only one machine
to be bothered about. Centralised authentication. A small machine to
rsync backups and you are on your way. No users training except use of
desktop which in any case will have to be done.
But them I am LTSP fan.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux