Hey Doodz & Dood3tt3z,

Quick update on what's happening with the Linux Demo Day 2004,
September 25:

1. Volunteers.  We have 4 confirmed volunteers so far.  Send in your
name and contact details to me quick and be part of the ILUG-Delhi
elite!  Be guaranteed a T-shirt for a lower-than-market yet still
extortionate price!  Learn how to sprain your back lifting heavy
equipment!  Be in an unenviable position to deal with cranky prima
donna speakers and mob-like crowds!  Be screamed at when the equipment
doesn't work, the power goes out and rain wets the beautiful poster on
the open-air notice board!

Be an ILUG-Delhi volunteer and learn about life! ;)

2. Venue.  Mr Suri of Jamia Hamdard University (JHU) has tentatively
confirmed gratis use of the Auditorium for the event.  A big hand to
JHU for the support and to Mr Suri for the effort he has put in to
make this happen.

3. Money.  eSys (in the unlikely angelical shape of Sanjeev "Ghane"
Gupta) has committed minimum Rs. 10,000 for the tea and snacks for all
participants (delegates and volunteers).  In return, sSys gets a logo
banner over the tea and snacks counter and our everlasting gratitude.
We're still looking for more sponsors, keep your fingers crossed.

We're still working on the modalities of payment, since eSys will pay
by cheque and we don't have a bank account yet.

4. Equipment.  We're extremely short of equipment and infrastructure.
High on the list are computers in decent working condition, CD
writers, 17" monitors, UPS's for up to 3KVA, power lines and extension
boards, ethernet hubs and cables, tables, tablecloths and chairs.  If
you can organise any of these please contact me ASAP.  We'll have to
hire out whatever equipment we don't manage to scrounge, which would
make an unnecessary hole in the ILUGD kitty.

5. Posters.  The poster bug bit Kishore and he's come up with what is
arguably the best poster made so far, so after screaming at him for
1/2 hour (I'd just spent 3 hours fixing the problems I'd noted in
Vivek Khurana's poster) I accepted his work with bad grace.  The
poster is available at:

http://kandalaya.org/download/ldd2k4-kb-poster.sxi

Sponsor logos will appear at the bottom.  There's only one (eSys)
currently, but Insh'allah we will be able to add another couple
today.  Posters DEFINITELY have to go for printing tomorrow (Friday).
Get your poster-distribution-and-pasting muscles into shape for the
weekend and let's splash them all over town.

6. Speakers.  Raj Shekhar, would you please post the status of the
various speakers for the event?

7. T-shirts.  The T-shirt chap will take 4 days to make the T-shirts,
so we have a couple of days before we decide.  eSys has offered Rs. 50
per T for printing their logo on the sleeve.  I'm open to the idea
since it helps reduce the T cost to the end-user; however this is not
my decision, so if you feel strongly about it one way or the other
please let the list know.  IMO what would be ideal would be what HCL
did for the LDD 1999, which is provide T's with their logo and the Tux
and linux-delhi.org for free, which are then distributed for free.
Anyone up to spending Rs. 25,000 to sponsor T's for the event?

8. Transport.  If we have the cash, we'll try to hire a Qualis or
equivalent for the day to ferry loads around and make emergency
trips.  Not decided on that yet.

Hmm, that seems to be it.  If you can contribute, now is the time to
step forward, and step fast!

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --