Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

I don't understand, how does RH then term Fedora as a community driven
distribution when it can't be given to the community.

I dont think Red Hat refused to allow the redistribution. They merely didnt answer back some of ILUGD's queries for the same, within the time frame that ILUGD had. It will be wrong and misleading for anybody to say that Fedora CDs cant be redistributed.

*Red Hat Linux* had the condition that redistribution of RHL CDs should not use the Red Hat trademark.

Fedora Core, however, has the following guidelines:

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/trademarks/guidelines/page4.html
Any party wishing to use the Fedora™ mark may do so as long as they meet two conditions:

1. They must only use the Fedora™ mark in association with the original Fedora™ code found on the Fedora Project website (see http://fedora.redhat.com/) without modification; and

2. If they charge a fee for the CD-ROM or other media on which they deliver the Fedora™ code, they warranty the media on which the Fedora™ code is delivered, thus ensuring that the recipient receives a usable copy.

Since we are only providing copies of the original ISO, (1) is ok.

However, (2) might be a problem for some. Even though it does make sense from product image point of view.

What if you provide a CD of Debian to a newbie, and the CD came out to be defective? It does reflect upon Debian and its community (for the newbie). Red Hat is just being extra protective about their Fedora trademark in this regard.

There is no restriction otherwise on redistribution of Fedora CDs made from original ISOs.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3