In various discussions at various forums, one thing has emerged clearly:
The one thing which has prevented wide-spread adoption of Free & Open
Source Software at the common man's desktop is "lack of perceptible
support".

Though, all of us talk about ample documentation and mailing lists based
support, it is the support from your friendly PC Technician in the
neighbourhood PC Assembler shop is what most non-IT background people
expect. Today, unfortunately, these are the very people who are holding
away and in a way dissuading people to adopt and use FLOSS instead. I
have spoken to a few "Owners" of these establishments and found a
general lack of awareness of even the most basics about FLOSS.
Therefore, it seems stupid to blame these ignorant people on the subject.

Some times I think of a minimalist dual boot 4GB kind of Linux
Partition, which these assemblers can install for their customers, for
their own safeguard. These partitions will work when the other
"Proprietary and Pirated" partition goes "sick", and they can reduce
their support calls by letting the customer have something to work,
while their "sick" partition gets treated. This way, more and more end
customers, will start getting aware and use FLOSS as a choice. We can
also generate a monthly, Local LUG approved, Linux Friendly Hardware
Component List, for benefit of these assemblers and end customers.

Can any thing be done to address the situation? Do Linux User Groups
spread over the country have a role to play? In my personal opinion its
"Yes" for both questions, but opinions vary. Ilugd has been rightly
focussing on Campuses, but I personally do not feel it sufficient.

I know that the moment you talk of "Suggestion" in ilugd, it means, "I
Volunteer". But let this not kill the spirit of generating new ideas.

I have the following to suggest:

End user support and guidance, more popularly called "Handholding", can
not be expected to be "free in cost" in general. But enough "Low Cost"
resources can be built with some effort.

India has seen two very popular similar efforts: (1) Co-operative
Movement, specifically ladies, in Gujrat and Maharashtra (2) Your
friendly neighnourhood Tutor for your child etc Both are economic
activities and no Giant Company is sponsoring or controlling these
activities. Yet they are formidable economic forces themselves.

I have a feeling, we can also develop a "Cottage End-User Support and
Handholding" industry. It is here that with a proper, synergised
co-ordinated and popularised effort the variuos Linux User Groups can be
 a starting point.

The Local Linux User Groups can keep a target of developing at least one
person, who can be sighted as a "Neighbourhood Resource", every 5 km, to
begin with in major cities where LUGs are active. This resource is free
to charge a nominal amount per hour. As time passes by, we can increase
the number of such "Neighbourhood Resources". The Larger LUGs, can
spread their hooks to the community, by encouraging such "Neighbourhood
Resources" to publicise themselves in whatever way they seem fit.

We need to also hold roadshows at exhibitions and shopping centers, be
they at schools, Durga Pujas, or any other community event. It is these
"Neighbourhood Resources" again who can do it in a much better way, than
probably LUG Volunteers.

Comments are welcome.

Anand Shankar