Hello all

There were some demos/talks for using Linux in education. Can anyone here help out this guy ? Respond directly to him. He is not a member of LUGD mailing list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Fsf-friends] Guidence needed
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:44:15 +0530
From: Sriharsha Vedurmudi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Friends,

[Snipped some part of the original message]

A couple of days ago, some of my friends, also in the s/w field (and running a very small charitable trust), donated a computer to a school
in a very remote village. (I am not a member as such, now, so I dont have a big say). When my friend told me that, I appreciated him but his
very next sentence disappointed me, he said they had installed M$ Win into it. When I asked them why they were wasting money when they can
get what ever they wanted to using Free Software, they said its because of the following reasons:

1. No one in the village knew anything about computers, so had to be taught from scratch.
2. None of their group are comfortable with *nix. (A pity)
3. The software that they are planning to provide now is the ones by Azim Premji Foundation
http://www.azimpremjifoundation.org/html/educationalsoftware.htm which runs on Windows only.

So, they had no choice but to shell out some money and buy Windows in the gray market and load it. When I raised my voice, they expressed
helplessness saying that their first aim is not to teach computers to kids but to grab their attention towards studies and use educational
s/w for this purpose. Since I did not know any Edu S/w for linux, I had to shut my mouth. So, im immediately writing to you friends, does
anyone know anything about this?

Waiting for your replies:

Sriharsha.

-- ,-.___,-. Raj Shekhar \_/_ _\_/ System Administrator, programmer and slacker )O_O( home : http://rajshekhar.net { (_) } blog : http://rajshekhar.net/blog/ `-^-' work : http://netphotograph.com