Mayank:

The following was one of the topic inside Nokia's own technology group -- Nokia
Linox

-------------------BEGIN---------------------------

HW Mobile devices: Is the PC-Suite available for Linux?

No it's not!!

This is one of the show stoppers of Linux propagation to a desktops at Nokia.

PC-Suite for Linux have been requested multiple times from NMP (Nokia Mobile
Phones division), without real official answer. However, the rumors say that it
has been considered to be too marginal userspace compared to regular phone
customers. Also, the existing PC-Suite is way too MSWIN-specific implementation
to be ported without resonable amount of work.

So, it's a chicken-egg problem. Regular users don't want to use Linux because
there are few missing programs and vendors don't want to implement them because
of lack of the users. Stalled situation.

However the OSS community have not been idling for something to happen.

There is also synchronizing program for Linux called Multisync
(http://www.multisync.org) which can synchronize several phone models using
plugins for device specific communication.

Most of the current Nokia Symbian (S60 as mentioned in Vivek's email) based
phone models use SyncML (www.syncml.org) protocol to synchronize itself to
other peer.

Multisync also supports SyncML and uses WBXML Library for Wireless Binary XML
mode in SyncML. It uses http/https for transferring the synchronization data
and thus the other synchronization endpoint is device using IP-protocol.

There have been attempts to make Multisync work with different phone models
with no luck yet.

There is also Gnokii (addressed by Raj Shekar or Vivek) which is alredy
included in all Nokia Linux releases, it works with *some* models. Gammu is a
developement version of next gnokii and will be included to Nokia Linux in
future.

BR,