On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 07:02 -0800, Viksit Gaur wrote:
> Hullo!
>
> Whats the deal with running 2 applications using
> /dev/dsp together? Lets say i want to run xmms and
> play quake3a, I can't - Q3 just won't start. Killing
> off xmms immediately starts it.
>
> Also, what if i'm using xmms, and suddenly need to see
> a video in mplayer - mplayer gives me an error saying
> that it couldn't open /dev/dsp.
>
> Is it because xmms locks the file, or changes its
> access permissions? or is it just some setting
> somewhere which needs to be changed?

Use ALSA with xmms(ALSA output plugin). quake AFAIK uses the old OSS
interface. The OSS interface allows only one application to use the
sound system by using locking.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.