Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 15:46 +0800, Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<snip>

- Show that patents are a method to capture power by a small number
of big
american companies.

Really? Is this intended as a tactic in the war, or do we really believe this?

I didnt quite get the intent of your question, but some further info on this can be found here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent#Practical_effects_of_software_patents

Sorry, let me clarify.

In 1940, as German troops advanced across Benelux into France, stories appeared about paratroopers assaulting nuns, and in one case, bayoneting the entire convent.[1] This was seen as an example of how "inhumane" the Nazis were, and built up early British resistance to a peace deal with Germany. As such, one can characterise this event as "A Good Thing". The British Government continued to repeat this storey till the late 1940s.

But the stories were untrue, although they continue to be repeated till date by journalists who can't be bothered to check facts, and repeat each other.

The "means" were wrong, but the "end" was good.

If the idea is that any stick will do to beat a dog, then of course we can cite "Software Patents are a way for the WTO to enslave India", "Software Patents are a western attempt against the Common Man", etc. The truth value of this staement need not concern us, just its effects. As such, I would ask all of us who oppose Software Patents to support this statement. There need be no discussion, I repeat, on the truth of this statement, because that is not one of the parameters by which we judge it.

If, on the other hand, you *really* believe this, then a discussion on its correctness is permissible, perhaps even required.

Incidentally, if all we are aiming at is fighting Software patents, the tar-brush we should use is "Fascist". This is a word that can be freely used, and once applied cannot be fought against, because it means exctly what the applier wants it to mean at that moment. For example, on the Shobha Yatra trailer controversy, from http://www.indiadaily.com/breaking_news/19951.asp :

'Defending Ghatge, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt challenged the board's decision for turning down the trailer because it appeared 'irreverent''. "In a democracy don''t we have the right to be irreverent? You cannot force me to worship or admire your gods or icons. Any such imposition amounted to fascism, where reverence was mandatory" ...'

No it doesn't. Imposing worship would amount to a "Theocracy", but this is not insulting enough, so Mr Bhatt used the phrase "fascisim". His political savvyness exceeds his grasp of the English language. See?

The Congress calls the RSS Fascist, the CPI called the INC Fascist (as late as the 1989), the CPI(ML) calls the CPI(M) Fascist. V P Singh called the CPI(ML) sponsored All India Students Association "Fascist" in 1990, for opposing the Mandal report. I have seen banners in Bombay calling the Mandal Report "Fascist".

So I ask again: "Show that patents are a method to capture power by a small number of big american companies". If they were not "American", then would it be OK? If they were not "Big"? Or if they were not a "small number"? What are we objecting to, and which words are in the statement because they are seen as "insulting"?

--
Sanjeev, who is forced by Raju to admire OSS, which amounts to Fascism.

[1] Interestingly, similar stories were current in the First World War, of German soldiers bayoneting children and nuns.