--- komal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Please what is the purpose of guest account in samba
>.Is it same as windows 2000's Guest account? When I
>used smbclient -L \\share then I am asked for
> password. I do not know which user is being used. Is
> guest ok=yes and public=ok is same?
> Thank you
> Komal
hi
well i am not pro but i can try to answer your query
from the Samba-3 by example by John H. Terpstra. There
is a question answer section in the first chapter
which is:
Q. What is the significance of the guest accout in
smb,conf?
Ans. This parameter specifies the default UNIX account
to which MS windows networking NULL session
connections are mapped. The default name for the UNIX
account used for this mapping is called nobody. If the
UNIX/Linux system that is hosting Samba does not have
a nobody account and an alternate mapping has not been
specified, network browsing will not work at all.
It should be noted that the guest account is essential
to Samba operation. Either the operating system must
have an account called nobody or there must be an
entry is the smb.conf file with a valid UNIX accout.
For example, guest account = ftp.

Hope it will clear your doubts. Others comment are
welcome.

Thanks
sudeep