Rohit Kumar wrote:
during the install the procedure indicated there were
4 and not three cd's needed, the fourth probably had
KDE3.3 .
also during the install there were about 15 odd
packages that the installer was unable to read...
given that the install was successful so i was back on
track...

I would like to add that I too had the same problem. I think the problem was in wget,tk,wxWindows etc. These packages are not a show stopper hence I continued with the installation.

Initially I thought that somehow I had gotten myself a bad cd media. Hence I did not worry about it too much. However, if anyone else has been having the same problems, maybe we should suspend the distribution of Mdk CDs.

Also I tried to install the debian sarge on my PC. Sarge comes with 2.4 kernel and xfree86 (instead of x.org which most newer distros ship with). As such, the hardware detection might be a problem for exotic video and sound cards and monitors. It also uses lilo instead of grub as a boot loader by default.

In the end, I wound up re-installing ubuntu along with my Fedora core 2 and both of these have been living happily together ever since.

but  when i tried to configure the network(for
internet), i did not had KPPP installed (may be i
forgot to check it), but when it tried to install it
prompted for the 'installation cd-1', which i pooped
in and in a matter of 5-10 seconds the tray popped out
and there was the same request again..

I think gnome too has some PPP dialing out tool. Just look in the mandrake control center for DrakeConnect or something similarly named and use it instead of KPPP. It should be able to help you in setting up the PPP correctly.
--
,-.___,-. Raj Shekhar
\_/_ _\_/ System Administrator, programmer and slacker