> I have recently installed Redhat 9.0 on a system . I am unable to hear any
> sound and unable to use the Lan Card (as i wanted to create a small network).
> Perhaps the correct driver is not installed.

(1) Try to configure the soudcard using "redhat-config-soundcard". The
utility may tell that the soundcard is correctly configured but if
still there is no sound invoke "aumix" and /etc/.aumixrc is the
corresponding configuration file.

(2) Try this redhat's getting started guide:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-fun-sndconfig.html

(3) If still there is no sound you might have to try ALSA...
http://www.alsa-project.org/

> I am using a USB mouse and it is working corectly now although i wasn't able
> to install the Redhat with the USB mouse installed i have to use a ps/2 mouse
> during Redhat installation.

so.. this is not a concern anymore.

> Also when i open Hardware Browser i can see a lot of 'unknown' in the system
> devices sub-menu .

send more details... which all devices !

> Also a help is needed that can i create a network of Linux and Windows
> systems . I have a switch with straight cabling . I wanted to know that if it
> is possible than what are the softwares required for that.

Yes, it is possible. You don't need any softwares for that. The
machines are on same network so they should be able to access each
other's resources.

> Also if i install a modem than how to make it work to connect to internet. I
> mean is there a dial up utility in Linux like there is in Windows. Or will i
> have to create a script for dialing etc. If yes can anyone help me in telling
> me what should be the starting point to lean creating these scripts.

Try "kppp".

Ajay