Nishant Kavi wrote:

>Ughh..Beaned me more hard.
>
>Founder+Comnet - 2
>LaZzzyDBA      - 0

kavi sahib .......aap aisi bateen kyon kar raheen hai ....................

>Founder/Gaurav - I would encourage people to use certified combos for
>PRODUCTION/DEVELOPMENT/TEST use in their professional work environment. If the
>installation was so horrible, do you expect everything to work OK in the
>future. What Gaurav did was a "hack" and everyone does it to meet his/her
>requirements BUT NOT in a professional work environment. NO SUPPORT will be
>given by Oracle if you choose to install Oracle under uncertified variants of
>RedHat/Suse/blah blah. The "hack" described by Gaurav is informative but MAY
>break other programs/modules of Oracle. Oracle, Sybase, BEA or ANY product
>development company are very particular about this. Don't play too hard w/
>Oracle!
>
>You are setting dangerous expectations for everyone -- professional testers,
>developers, DBAs.

i bet the problem I faced with fc3 will remain same with official RHEL 4
(bcos of GCC and kernel version) and same solution will suffice.
(http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=135&thread=290555&message=&tstart=45&trange=15905597)

More over this certification thing (which I guess is more of marketing
thing and does mean its lean mean optimized OS distro dedicated for one
job or hence better than othersand what about other excellent distro
like debian should we stop using it ?? ) doest mean that all problems
will vanish if use a certified combo ....in fact majority of same
problems will still remain in these so called certified distro

>As far as using Personal Edition for Oracle on any variant is concerned please
>go ahead and use it at home. Even the Guru ASKTOM.COM uses RH8 for his
>personal use. Refer the following URL -
>
>http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:6090133761547
>
>PostgreSQL is better than MySQL in terms of scalability and performance.
>However, for complex requirements Oracle is definitely the choice. SQL Server
>is a JOKE!

I think we should use right tools for right job .....mysql, postgresql
or oracle ... I personally like mysql/postgresql and Berkeley db they
offer a great price performance ratio with minimal admistration (Oracle
in present case its due customer requirement/ legacy app)......well with
ORM libraries like Hibernate, JDO we seldom need to store business logic
as stored procedure/ or in DB .....and they are scalable to respectable
level and definately less buggy the commercial counterparts (check out
clustering, transaction, oracle migration tools and other stuff in
upcoming mysql 5
http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid41_gci1070436,00.html,

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1069172,00.html)

>Are you still ready to "bean" me hard w/ your balls ..eh?
>
>***End of Discussion from my end on this topic***

yes you are right lets ends it here ... it was about installing 9i on
fedora nothing less or more :-)

>BR,
>
>-------------------------------
>

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 Sandip Bhattacharya wrote :
>

>>On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 10:26 +0000, Nishant Kavi wrote:
>>

>>>Watch out for more bumps ahead w/ Fu&*#& Fedora 3 + Oracle. So, the story
>>>ain't over yet for you!
>>>

>>Somehow this is getting irritating for me. So what if Oracle has
>>recommended RH AS for its servers? All desktops and laptops come with
>>recommmendations for Windows XP. Still people go ahead and try
>>installing software which should ideally work in the same environment!
>>
>>Yes, they do  understand the risks involved most of the time, and the
>>fact that they are in generally unsupported-by-OEM territory. So what if
>>they try to do something out of the ordinary? Encourage all these
>>ventures instead of cursing and shouting at them!
>>
>>If Oracle has a personal edition version and if one can run it on a Free
>>OS like Fedora, this is a very good thing! It provides a very good
>>learning and testing environment for a significant number of users who
>>couldnt have afforded it otherwise.
>>
>>In fact, if Gaurav agrees to release his howto under GNU FDL, I would be
>>glad to put it up on the lug-delhi.org wiki .. so that others benefit
>>from his persistence and dedication in getting this to work.

I will put GNU FDL license on my doc (I meant it to be in GNU GPL ...but
I forgot to put license)
Wiki is great idea, that lot of other people can also continuously
refine it.... pl let me what is required from my side

rgds,
gaurav