I have been using this Thunderbird for close 2 two months ? and I don't
recollect any interupt in downloading - oftne the mail just stops but
once it connects its back again and it did not download all the messages

Its happened to me a few times in evolution, though.

Also download what - the entire mail box ? I keep my mails on the server
as well as a down load ? And thats some 600 mails in two different
accounts-

Is there a solution ? really cannot afford to spend all the bandwidth on
downloading mails

regards
ram