Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Ankit Malik wrote:
>>>Another drastic soln. might be removing swap??? I have a question...what
>>>happens if I dont have swap space and i run out of ram? does the system
>>>hangs/locks or it waits for space to be emptied out?
>>>

> Not having swap isn't a good idea IMO.
> You should have swap for idle programs to be stored there.

Not necessarily true.  If you want to have all your processes to stay in
memory, for example when you are running a web+database server, you can
leave out swap to prevent the OS from ever swapping out your processes -
even if they have been inactive for a long time.  On a desktop, you
definately want some swap to prevent the dreaded OOM killer from
visiting you and killing off some random process

--
Raj Shekhar                        Y!IM : lunatech3007
blog : http://rajshekhar.net/blog  home : http://rajshekhar.net