Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:

> --- Tom Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Don't put squid on such a low spec machine. It has a relatively large
>

> Is it really a resource hog ? - other than RAM and a bit of I/O I
> suppose.

On a samll home network, it is not veryimprtant, but on a busy system if
will use swap space extensively, slowing it down significantly.

> Could you elaborate as to how using a squid will make the net slower ?

Using squid on such a low-spec box would definitely add to the latency.

>>more. In any case, you won't be able to get a decent cache going,
>>because it doesn't support large drives. I set up squid to use at
>

> The laptop has only 4GB hard disk I dont think squid will have a
> problem with 4GB.

It won't depending on the traffic flowing through it. It may prevent a
cache of say 14 days being maintained if it is in excess of cache space
set aside.

> Pray how would I not have squid and yet configure transparent proxy ?

You misunderstand. Put a high spec box behind the firewall with squid
installed as a transparent proxy.

Well, if you can't set up another Linux box as a proxy, try to get a
little more RAM into the box at least.

Tom