Hi
I tried the various options and it still does not work
the sites I am trying to access are www.dainikjagran.com and
www.amarujala.com - their fonts are available on the website itself.

I tried following the instructions as given by Vivek Kapoor , seen below
but no progress.
I tried both as root and as user

tried the other option of making a local.conf file and that too does not
work
my local.conf file is below:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->

<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF</dir>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts/hindi</dir>
</fontconfig>