On 08/19/2005 06:56 AM, Thiharie Rajesh wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have these two URLs which provide me info on how to secure a wireless
> network and the way people get into them.
> http://www.missl.cs.umd.edu/wireless/eaptls/
> http://linux.sys-con.com/read/46902.htm
>
> I plan to run an Access Point off my home connection.
> Is there anything else that I should be aware of? My desktop box is
> Linux and the laptop is WinXP.

Havent visited the links you pointed out but i have setup a couple of
wireless lans (home and enterprise) so i would like to add my 2p :

1. Buy a wireless router (about 3k) rather than trying to setup an adhoc
network between your PC and Laptop. Its much easier to setup and you
dont need to keep your PC switched on. You would however need a net
connection that gives you an ethernet connector, not USB. Get a 802.11
B+G (stay away from the A standard).

2. I usually take 3 measures to secure the network :
- Disable SSID broadcast (makes the network invisible)
- Enable WEP or WPA encryption, latter is better but your router and
client both need to support that.
- If security is really important, enable MAC level access control.

I would like to add here that doing the above will not give you
foolproof security and a determined hacker may still get in but it gives
you pretty good protection. Ofcourse there are many other levels of
protection but the more protection you add the slower your network will
become and be quite a bitch to setup.

Just like a condom CAN break but you would rather use it anyway :).

have fun,

- Ankur.