On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 12:07, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> At 2005-08-19 13:32:33 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > the prevailing atmosphere???
>
> Right. I can answer that question better now, mostly by having studied
> the responses in this thread. Let's have a look, shall we?
>
> 1. Denial. "What's wrong with the atmosphere, dammit?"
>
> 2. Proof-by-anecdote that everything is just fine.
>
> 3. Cheap digs disguised as humour. You know, the kind where, if anyone
>    objects, one can look injured and say, "But it was a joke! Don't
>    women have a sense of humour?"
>
> 4. "If only women bothered to show up more often, they'd see that
>    everything is really all right."
>
> 5. "We've done all we can. It's up to someone else now."
>
> Oh, and when the subject of encouraging women to participate *does* come
> up, there's usually this undercurrent of "Yeah, we need more hot chicks
> in this group, man!"
>
> The consequent feeling: Ugh. Better not get involved.
>
> -- ams

Thanks ams- i agree with all your points. I want to add another one,
which i have mentioned in my response to Pankaj- the freedel blog has a
posting (the top one) by raju which has an offensive "attempt at
humour". I would like to emphasise yet again- these "jokes" are not a
reflection of a good sense of humour. And when a woman like me raises an
objection, it is NOT a case of being oversensitive- if you can't see
that and continue to behave like that- yes, women will be put off. I
will be much obliged if i don't have to see "jokes" like that again on
this list or on the blog.

Regards,
Hassath