mod_backhand is an apache module and can run without much resource
requirements. We configured mod_backhand on a dual PIII with 2GB of ram and
this was also serving dynamic pages apart from running a MySQL server and
some other in-house tools. Hence, in your case, a moderately good hardware
will suffice since you will use that h/w specifically for load balancing.

Compile apache with the least number of modules and with ofcourse
mod_backhand or if your apache is compiled with DSO support, just do
AddModule and LoadModule.

-Subhasis