Hi.

At 2005-09-18 08:41:31 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would like to understand how linux maintains its repository with the
> support for multiple platforms and contributions coming from all over
> the world.

The simple answer is that Linus works really hard (as do the subsystem
maintainers).

The idea is that people write patches and send them to the maintainers
of the relevant subsystem (see src/MAINTAINERS). The maintainers apply
patches to their own tree, and forward them to Linus only when they're
satisfied. Linus looks them over and applies them to his own tree if
he's satisfied.

All this happened without any version control software for a long time
(mostly because there was no version control software that didn't suck
for the kernel development model). Then Linus started using BitKeeper,
which made him an order of magnitude more productive, because it was
easier to merge in patches from multiple trees. More recently, he's
switched to using something called git (which he wrote himself).

But BK and git just make it easier to handle patches and keep track of
change histories from multiple trees. It's still a lot of hard work to
make sure the code continues to improve overall, and there are just no
short cuts to that.

> If thers is any information available online, please redirect me
> towards the same.

See <http://www.kernel.org/git/> for a few relevant links.

For very much more, you'll have to read the archives of the linux-kernel
mailing list.

-- ams