On Friday 23 September 2005 13:49, Pankaj kaushal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Since early this month, a discussion has been floating around and has
> been quite visible. Some background can be found from the following links.

Tell you what?  Lots of people seem to disagree with the way foss.in is being
run (and possibly with the people running it).  So go ahead. Call in Brian
Behlendorf, Wietse etc and do an event somewhere else other than bangalore.
Madras, or Delhi, or Hyderabad.  Places that have active, thriving LUG
communities.

Speaking entirely for myself, as I've helped manage and run international
conferences for the last few years (sanog, apricot etc). If you have clear
well defined criteria for the cfp and you also ensure that the accepted
papers meet these criteria, you're all set, and that's what you can
reasonably expect from a good program committee.  Also there must be lots of
community support for the event, so that it gets well attended.

About the FOSS aspect, Linux, for me, is an OS, a tool to get things done the
best, fastest way. Free, open source, non free etc apps running on linux - I
dont particularly care as long as there's what is commonly termed
"operational content" - technical stuff, coding, sysadmining, operation etc
of linux and linux based apps, rather than marketing fluff.

You'll find cray building non free (in fact, they cost about a million dollars
apiece, and that's quite cheap as crays go) supercomputer clusters running
linux. Getting someone from Cray to present at that conference would be great
[we had Mark Dalton from cray at ilug chennai recently, its up on our site
wiki somewhere)

        srs