On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 04:35:27PM +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Maybe the issue is not entirely about free or proprietory software.
>People are switiching to open source for a variety of reasons -
>philosophy, technical, economics whatever. There is that freedom to
>choose an element to believe in. But , well the but is simply its the
>core philosophy of open source  - read transparency, read community
>involvement, read right to know that is the foundation of this
>movement.If People want to call it that and I think it is.

I'm not going into the license / advocacy / giving back to the community
etc part of it.

As for what (say) Cray gives back to linux, googling for cray.com + linux
or cray.com + linux-kernel gives you a lot of ideas.

Back to the program committee part - in a purely technical conference (as
opposed to public policy / social / philosophical conferences) you are not
going to find substantial differences of opinion of the sort you mention.
Competing technologies, fine. But a presentation is either technical or it
is not.

You need a program committee with enough tech savvy + enough experience
speaking / presenting at such conferences to know what is operational
content and what the audience wants. And who have a reputation for being
even handed. And who are easily contactable in case any issues arise.

        srs