Hi

This is regarding the digressed thread of "Where is the Community" and
the many different elements of disucssion.

Here are some replies
Ram wrote :
 >Call is social responsibility, call it a *"request from the community"*

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

 >>Sounds more like dictating a social *duty*.

with rights there are responsibilities or duties.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
 >>So what is this antagonism towards people making money or people with
 >>wealth
 >>who are using this software? Why do we care? As long as the community
 >>keeps
 >>getting better and better over time, we have accomplished what we
have >>to.

 >>When you use words like "responsibility" or "giving back", you *are*
 >>talking
 >>about strings attached to using Free software. If there are such
 >>strings, put
 >>them in the damn licence, otherwise nobody has the right to interpret
 >>the
 >>licence or its "spirit", whether they are Free or closed source
 >>software

Thanks , I will remember that the various open source / free software
licenses (GPL ASF etc) does not say anything about *any community* hence
there are no expectations from the community or its members hence no
*duties*.  And won't interpret more than what the license of any free /
libre software gives / allows.

And When I do have the opportunity to release software under a Free
Software License will remember to incorporate some aspects of community.

 >>>So what is this antagonism towards people making money or people
with >>>wealth
 >>>who are using this software? Why do we care? As long as the
community >>>keeps
 >>>getting better and better over time, we have accomplished what we
 >>>have to.

Raj Mathur Wrote
 >>>I agree with Sandip: making money from FOSS is perfectly legitimate
 >>>(dammit, I do it myself!), and you cannot ask the user of a software
 >>>for anything beyond what the software license enjoins him/her to do.

No antagonism at all. This is what I said
where the community is the large amorphous mass (whose collective
resources base is large but individual resource base disparately
distributed) and the corporate are the proprietory privateers (who have
even larger private and unshared resources) whose sole motive is profit,
wherever it may come from and *whatever the cost*.

The key words are "whatever the cost" and that cost to me is freedom to
choose my software and freedom to enable other to choose theirs.

ams wrote:
 >>>Now I'm confused.

 >>>At 2005-09-24 12:39:26 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >>> There is that cliched statement of freedom - "ones freedom ends when
 >>> it begins to affect anothers" [...]
 >>> they are not (rather should not be) free to choose to *not contribute*

 >>Why not? And what are you saying they should contribute, exactly?
 >>And how do their decisions in this regard affect your own freedom?

-- ams

Contribute to enabling others to make the same free choices. It takes a
kind of supportive enviroment to enable people to make a choice - so the
beneficiaries of the free software movement community have a
responsibility to make that opportunity available to others. Thats the
contribution I am trying to highlight which appears in this copyleft
statement.

*copyleft (very simply stated) is the rule that when redistributing the
program, you cannot add restrictions to deny other people the central
freedoms.* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

By not participating in creating that enabling environment is actually
turning a blind eye to the issue of access to choice , access to free
software and in this context freedom.

I am not sure if freedom comes with out duty or responsibility. I
question what kind of freedom it is that does not at the very least ask
of its beneficiaries to make sure others get what they have got, that is
freedom to ensure everyone has the same playing field . the same free
state.

As a consequence of this discussion I read some of the popular Free
Software licenses none of them have anything to say about communities
and contribunting back to the community. The closest to community
license was this:

Licensing Community Server
There are 3 options for licensing Community Server:

     *
       Community license
       The Community license provides a free version of Community Server
that can easily be upgraded to a commercial license. The Community
license is perfect for non-profit or non-commercial applications. The
Community license can be used in commercial applications as long as the
license agreement is adhered to.

The following are  drawn from GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
               Version 2, June 1991

"To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights.
These restrictions translate to *certain responsibilities* for you if
you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it."

"The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new versions
of the General Public License from time to time.  Such new versions will
be similar *in spirit* to the present version, but may differ in detail
to address new problems or concerns."

"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope." GPL

***************
One place where the word Community is used in cojunction with License
Community License
The community license allows for the use of a fully functional free
version of Community Server. However, this version does have
restrictions, some features disabled or removed, and requires the
display of the EULA.gif on every displayed web page that is using
functionality provided by Community Server. This EULA.gif must also link
back to www.communityserver.org.

Below is the EULA.gif image:

The Community license is recommended for individuals or organizations
that need the functionality offered by Community Server, want to learn
the source code, or simply want to ‘try before you buy’. The Community
licensed version is a fully supported version of the product and you can
purchase support or other add-ons. However, no direct support is
provided for the Community licensed version without a
support/maintenance agreement with Telligent Systems.

The intent of the Community license is in exchange for running a free
version of the software licensees will help raise awareness and interest
in the Community Server platform. A secondary goal is to discourage code
forking or derivative versions and to encourage participating at
www.communityserver.org to help drive new features and functionality.
*******

Some of the licenses and sites I checked out to figure out the community
aspect were here:
http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
http://opensource.org/licenses/osl-2.1.php
http://opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.1.txt
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ecl1.txt
http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/fullrights
http://www.google.com/search?q=community+license&btnG=Google+Search+opensource.org

******
My guess is that the contents of this discussion have digressed far way
from the original "Where is the Community" but it has been encouraged me
to actually read the various Open Source / Free Licenses and figure out
, in conjunction with the various comments' terminology being used and
the direction licenses are taking and the community aspect as well.

regards
ram