Hi anand,

> I am planning to setup a large, maiden linux desktop installation in a
> Windows Centric Environment. Hard realities at ground (1) 99% users will be
> first timers, many may not have heard of it before!! (2) Lack of trained
> support staff, learn by burning your hands, looks like to be the fact of day.

As far as the problem of first timers go Ubuntu has been the best
distro for a newbie or partcularly i say kubuntu , as kde has a look
and feel like windows.......

> Parameters
>
> 1. Single sign on to be achieved with Win2K3-SP1 Active Directory Servers:
> Samba 3.0.20 is the solution in this case, which only FC4 provides as a
> pre-built binary.

    I was having problem to access win directories with fc as in oue=r
campus the 1000+ computers are very badly managed....., But the Ubuntu
samba with some configuration with swat is working fine...
     ps. try changing the samba workgroup from integer to string and
writing the present workgroup u are in.

> 2. It is being planned that Desktops will reach end-user stations ready with
> Linux Partitions. I feel that proposed Linux installation preferably use http
> method of installtion along with a kick-start file.

  I have never used a http soln see can u get it. :)

> 3. With my prior experience, tend to prefer FC. But would like to use the
> updated un-official FC4 distro.

it`s not very diff as i migrated from fc too, but a lot better in
terms of performance and don`t forget the deb package management.
> 4. Would have to setup a local LAN based repository, so that it is easier to
> install updates.

        Local Repositry are not new in ubuntu , it`s how u install all
the files using synaptic or aptitude...

> 5. The Windows partition is being already populated with Open Source programs
> viz: OpenOffice2.0, Firefox1.0.7, GAIM, GIMP, Dia, Planner etc to familiarise
> the users. Trainings on these programs is planned to be taken up
> progressively.

> 6. Also planning to setup a FreeNX sever.

Use a add on cd and u are having all the stuff u ever wanted

> 7. Should support Hindi as one of the enabled languages.

 Hindi is running smoothly just go to www.indlinux.org and everything
is damn easy....

                      Do update with the results..........

--
"Smooth Sea Never makes a Skilled Mariner"
Linux User #348873