On Friday 21 Oct 2005 12:34 am, Gaurav Mishra wrote:
>   If Someone please point me a complete howto for localizing the
> software, i would like it to forward all people on my college group.

localisation also depends on the language in which the particular
application is written. For example, if it is a gui app in python, the
following steps are taken:

1. In the application all strings to be translated are enclosed in _().
Example - "Ok" would be written as _("Ok").

2. using xgettext, these strings are extracted from all the files into
a .pot file. There are utilities to make sure that there are no
duplicates. The format of the .pot file is like this:

<snip>
#: acctree.py:69 manage_companies.py:53 manage_custvouchers.py:53
#: manage_users.py:52
msgid "Add"
msgstr ""

#: acctree.py:70 manage_companies.py:54 manage_custvouchers.py:54
#: manage_users.py:53 showjournal.py:63 showledger.py:64
msgid "Edit"
msgstr ""
</snip>

3. The translator goes through the .pot file and fills in the msgstr
part with the equivalent in his language and saves it into a .po file.
Say ta.po for tamil

4. the .po file is compiled into a .mo file. Which is placed i a
specific directory under 'locale' in the directory tree of the app.
Example, for tamil:
~/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/file.mo

5. a translation directive is given in the main loop of the app which
will use this .mo file if tamil is chosen as a language.

6. for indic languages, utf encoding will have to be used

7. other programming languages have a more or less similar approach. The
main difference is in how to specificy which strings are to be
substituted

--
regards
kg